Frequently Asked Questions
1. How will self confidence be built in my child?
On a daily basis, your child will “discover” answers to questions. The teacher will never simply tell your child the answers. This trains your child early on how to be responsible for his or her learning and to seek out information.
2. What accreditation does the school hold?
Shepherd Christian School is registered with the Ohio Department of Education as charter, non-public school. SCS is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International.
3. Are the teachers Christians?
Yes, we require our teachers to follow our Statement of Faith.
4. What are the beliefs of your church denomination and how are those beliefs communicated to the students?
Shepherd Christian School welcomes students and families of every faith background. We are hosted by Shepherd Church of the Nazarene which influences our teaching. We have Chapel every Thursday where we teach various Bible stories. Parents, you are welcome to attend Chapel if you are curious! For more information please read the Statement of Faith from Shepherd Church of the Nazarene.
5. What are the qualifications of the faculty?
All faculty members have college degrees; have acquired Ohio Department of Education certification, and training by the Association of Christian Schools International.
6. What are the school’s class hours?
Classes begin at 8:00 and end at 2:30. We do offer child care before and after school for an additional cost. Extended care is available for any child enrolled at Shepherd Christian School.
7. How do I enroll my child?
Shepherd Christian: (614) 471-0859
Little Lambs: (614) 471-9269
8. What extra-curricular activities are offered?
We offer after school Art Club and music lessons. These are both fee-based. We also offer winter basketball league which is fee-based. Our curriculum is also designed so that each child will experience a wide range of subjects during school hours.
9. How many children are in the classes?
We strive to maintain a low student to teacher ratio of approximately 1:18. This enables us to focus on the needs of each individual student.
10. Is transportation available to and from school?
No, however, your public school district will reimburse you. You need to contact them for details about how to get your reimbursement.
11. Is there a dress code or uniforms?
We have a dress code with styles and colors that are available at most stores. We ask that all students wear khaki or navy colored pants, shorts or skirts with a solid colored shirt.
12. What grades are taught?
Our school is for grades kindergarten through fifth grade. All of our kindergarten classes are full day. We also offer a full day pre-k program.
13. Are meals provided?
Yes, we offer a hot school lunch at no additional charge. Our school menu is diverse and available for every student enrolled.
14. What special classes are offered?
Special classes include physical education, music, technology and Spanish. These classes are provide a great addition to our curriculum, shaping each student into a well-rounded individual.
15. What is the tuition at Shepherd Christian School?
The current fees are contained in the application packet and can also be found under Tuition and Fees on our website.
16. Do you require a statement of faith or church membership?
No, not from our families. We do require this from our teachers. To read it follow this link: Statement of Faith.
17. Are Bible classes included in your curriculum?
Yes, we use the ACSI Bible Purposeful Design. We also have chapel each week.
18. What are your educational beliefs?
- We believe that education should prepare children for life now and life hereafter.
- We believe that children learn by example; therefore, Christ-like teachers are the foundation upon which our school stands.
- We believe that education begins at home; therefore, we encourage mutual interdependence between the home and school.
- We believe that good education should excite all of a child's senses.
- We believe that children should be encouraged to express themselves creatively.
- We believe that children should be encouraged to actively participate in learning.
- We believe that children should be encouraged to develop socially, and should be taught appreciation and respect.
- We believe that education should meet the needs of children, not the other way around.
- We believe that school should be a place loved by children.
18. What textbooks do you use?
Our curriculum is up-to-date and engaging for all ages. We incorporate lectures with hands on activities to enhance the student's learning and retention. For a complete list of our textbooks follow this link: Curriculum.
20. What Scholarships are available?
We do accept EdChoice Scholarships. Go to http://www.scohio.org/index.html to see if your child is eligible for this scholarship.
21. What is our stance on the Common Core?
We take the ACSI stance on Common Core.